In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Laura Nelson. Laura has marketed, sold to, and collaborated with local businesses for over 10 years of her career as a marketer and business manager. She is currently VP of Marketing at Signpost, following roles with Broadly, Reputation.com, and Patch. Laura earned an MBA from the University of Michigan and a BFA at Carnegie Mellon University.
Marketing has changed for all types of businesses in the last few years thanks to new platforms, channels, and technology. But for small businesses — the changes have been revolutionary, often leveling the playing field and providing a way to reach their customers and new audiences in a low-cost, targeted, and personalized way. In this episode, I talk with the VP of Marketing at Signpost, Laura Nelson, about the latest trends in local marketing and what strategies to focus on.
Questions I ask Laura Nelson:
- [1:17] So what did you work on in your fine arts and what do you do with it now in your life?
- [2:07] Let’s talk about the local versus national differences in marketing — are there any significant differences let’s say for a plumber versus say a software company when it comes to digital marketing?
- [3:57] Does a business with 10 locations need to be optimized for all 10 locations?
- [5:40] For a lot of businesses, the Google profile presence is one of the most important aspects of the business — what do you have to do to show up there?
- [8:52] Consumer behavior has changed dramatically — how have referrals changed the game for local businesses?
- [12:27] How do we get those reviews from customers that seem to be happy?
- [15:16] How do you manage all of the various channels available today like online, live chat, SMS, appointment scheduling, etc.?
- [18:02] What are some industries that you think are ahead of the curve in having automated and integrated communication?
- [20:25] What benefits can Duct Tape listeners redeem from Signposts?
More About Laura Nelson:
More About The Certification Intensive Training:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.